Taking the Path of Zen
Each of our Zen Garland Order centers offers an Introduction to Zen Practice. This is scheduled at various times and in differing formats – a brief explanation of meditation and the zendo (training hall) etiquette, a half-day or full-day class, or a weekend workshop.
Additionally you can access a 14-video lecture course by Roshi Genki called: Introduction to the Zen Garland Way-The Ever Intimate of Zen Practice. To take this course follow this link:
To register for an Introduction to Zen Practice, please sign up online or call the center in your area where you wish to attend.
Some of the topics we cover in our Introduction to Zen Practice:
- The Body, Breath and Mind in Basic Zen Meditation
- We show you meditation positions on chair, bench, and floor mat-and-cushion, helping you find which suits you best.
- We teach you the basic abdominal breathing style for meditation.
- We present some anatomy from Chinese medicine and help you learn to rest your attention in the kikai point an inch below your navel
- Zendo Etiquette
- Key terms in Buddhism and Zen
- A brief history of Buddhism and the development of Zen
- The Zen Path through the metaphors of the Ox Herding Pictures
- The services of the local center
- The mission, lineage history and structure of The Zen Garland Order
Other Useful Information
Locations and contact information
Useful information on getting started with a Zen practice
Coursework designed to support and grow your practice
Information on Zen Garland's seven Core Practices
Reach out to hear from one of our teachers
Sign up for our newsletter
Our newsletters and updates will keep you informed of local and regional classes, workshops, and retreats as well as online study opportunities, blogs, information, and inspiration to continue nurturing, healing, and caring for yourself and the world.
We will not share your information with anyone else.
See you soon!
Get in Touch with Us
Ask us questions. Share ideas.
Set up a time to meet with us. Tell us your story.