Roshi Paul Genki Kahn has chosen to develop a new order for Zen that maintains the rigorous standards of traditional transmission, while expressing the values and needs of our time. This mind-to-mind transmission in the Zen lineage, is the heart of Zen Garland and the empowerment and authority for the various Paths.
All practitioners are encouraged to complete the Zen Garland General Path as a foundation for spiritual development.
We generally want a practitioner to have five or ten years’ foundation of consistent spiritual practice under an accredited teacher before setting out on Teacher or Ordination Expressions. Exceptions are made depending on the maturity and life experience of an individual.
Some of our current landmarks in Teacher Expression are:
- Mentor who partners and encourages newcomers to the community.
- Instructor who teaches Introduction to Zen Practice.
- Head Trainee who is the head student for an Ango (Intense 3 month Training Period).
- Dharma Holder (Assistant Teacher) who can begin to guide a practitioner’s spiritual development.
- Sensei, an independent Zen Teacher.
- Roshi, a Master Zen Teacher, a teacher of teachers.